We asked the experts – now you decide! Which roofing material do you prefer?
If you’re unsure which roof material to choose, the roofing contractors at Ridgeline Exteriors can help! We’ve compiled a list of metal and asphalt roofing pros and cons. Don’t leave the choice of roofing to just anyone–trust the professionals at Ridgeline Exteriors to consider the best option for your home.
Keep reading for the pros and cons of these two popular roofing materials.
Rising in popularity, this type of roofing is sleek and relatively maintenance-free once installed. While there are some drawbacks to the initial installation, the pros far outweigh the cons.
- Metal roofing is expensive, and that is due to the installation process.
- This roofing is complicated to install, which means you will need to hire a professional roofing contractor.
- Metal is also extremely slippery, especially in wet or snowy conditions. This can cause avalanche-type snowfall from the roof, causing potential damage to shrubbery, cars, and people. For this reason, metal roofing in colder climates should be equipped with snow guards–metal or plastic clips.
- Finally, the paint on metal roofing tends to fade more quickly. This requires regular painting to maintain its color.
- Metal roofing reflects the sunlight–lower cooling costs in the summer heat!
- Safety Advantages Include:
- Being less susceptible to wind damage
- Less likely to incur water damage
- Metal roofing is fireproof
- Metal roofing lasts longer than asphalt shingles, between 50 – 70 years, and they are completely recyclable
In terms of budget, asphalt shingle roofing systems are the least inexpensive to install. However, maintenance can become more expensive, depending on the issue.
- Asphalt shingles are more vulnerable to wind and water damage, leading to cracked or missing shingles.
- Unlike other roofing materials, asphalt should always be installed in the warmer weather to prevent damage.
- While cheaper to install, asphalt doesn’t last as long as metal, due to the material itself.
- As we stated above, Asphalt shingles are relatively inexpensive to install. Installation should be done by a professional for peace of mind and longevity of the materials.
- Just as asphalt shingles are easy to install, they are easy to replace! Depending on the size of the damage, shingle repair and replacement can happen quickly and efficiently.
- Asphalt shingles look good on any home, regardless of the roofing style!
Contact the Best Roofing Contractors Today!
Still not sure what roofing material to use? The experts at Ridgeline Exteriors will offer professional roofing installs while keeping your budget in mind. As a family-owned business, we pride ourselves on offering our customers quality workmanship in the roofing industry.
Contact Ridgeline Exteriors today and get your roof on track for the Spring ahead (207) 432-0810. Remember to like our Facebook page for updates and the most recent industry information!